Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mags

What a fun girl this Maggie is! She has always made me laugh. I just love the way her little mind works. My oldest sister often says that she wishes she could be a bit more like Maggie. This girl just tells it as it is and doesn't think twice about it.
I remember when she was about 2, I was snuggling her in the early morning out on the couch. She looked up at me with her beautiful green eyes and in her gravely voice said, "Mama, did you just drink coffee?"
I responded with, "Yes, why do you ask?"
She said simply, "Because I can smell it. I don't like the way your voice smells in the morning when you have coffee."
I never thought of my *voice* the same after that. And, I was careful not to breathe in her direction until after I brushed my teeth. :)
My friend Joanne used to tell me that I could start my own Family Circle-type comic strip just by documenting all the funny things Maggie said. Maybe from time to time I'll jot them down here. I've got at least 10 going through my mind even as I type this.
For now, I'll just share a recent one.
This week Maggie made me chuckle again. We were exactly right on time for the girls' piano lesson. I don't tend to be early any more to anything, so getting to their piano teacher's house exactly on time was pretty impressive.
As soon as we pulled up, Kourtney asked where their piano bag was. It was at home, on the table. Maggie forgot to grab it.
Normally, I would get pretty upset by this. However, I had risen early that morning, spent time in the Word, and was determined to live a Spirit filled life (or day anyway!) It took everything in me to just calmly drive home and let Maggie go get the piano bag. I think Kourtney and Maggie could sense that I was calmer than usual, so Maggie just started laughing, joking and chatting all the way back to their teacher's house.
Somehow that bothered me. I'm not sure if I wanted her to be miserable or what, but I said to her, "You know, Maggie, you're going to have to be the one to apologize and explain to Mandy what happened and why we were late. You'll be missing 15 minutes of your lesson time today, too."
Maggie just said, "Okay." and continued chatting as if nothing had happened.
I know it wasn't a huge deal or anything, but I wanted her to at least show a little remorse for forgetting the bag and making me have to drive all the way back home and then back to piano....I also was feeling bad, myself, for the girls being late and cutting into Mandy's time.
I said to Maggie, "Hey, Mags, I don't want you to feel bad or anything, but aren't you at least kind of sorry about this?"
She shrugged her shoulders and said plainly, "Well, yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let it ruin my day or anything."
Spoken like my Maggie....(and just like her Daddy.) Oh, I love that girl. Of course it wasn't going to ruin her day...and I'm glad.
Guess I've got some learning to do from her, too.

No comments: