Sunday, September 28, 2008

motherhood

It really is interesting to talk with a variety of moms.
I had a discussion the other day with several ladies who were in different seasons of their motherhood. We're talking kids of varying ages, interests and abilities. Yet, each mom had one thing in common: the hope that they were doing it right.
Questions that are common with us moms are, "Am I doing the right thing for their education?" "Is it too much?" "Is it too little?" "What about recreational activities?" "Is this my child's natural gift?" "Should I foster this more?" "Are we too busy?" "How can I ensure that I'm nurturing my child enough to become the person they are intended to be?" "Am I too hands on?" "Am I too hands off?" "What will they be like when they grow up?" "Should they really be exposed to ALL of my flaws...day in and day out?" ...I'm sure you get the gist. I could go on and on. You probably could, too.
Some of those questions are a direct result of us comparing ourselves to others. That is a very dangerous thing to do. How hard to avoid that, though, in such a competitive culture!
As women, we need to support each other, encourage each other and inspire one another to great things. I like to check out other people's blogs. I can get off the computer feeling like a real loser because I'm not as crafty or as patient or as amazing as these people appear....but I needn't do that to myself. The same fears, worries and insecurities I face are most likely the same that every mom faces.
We all want to be the best we can be....as women, as wives and as mothers. We are not perfect and will have times when we come up short. At least short of our own expectations or desires.
A little song made famous by the one and only High School Musical is going through my head right now. "We're all in this together." It's true. I love the support network among moms that is available. I enjoy the knowing smile I get from another Mom when my 1 year old is running amuck at the local book store. It does help to know that we have each other. We need to stop being so hard on ourselves and stop worrying if we'll do it perfect or not. We won't. But....the end result will be some incredible children that know how loved and valued they are. I guess that really is the goal after all, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooo this is so true. I think that every time we compare ourselves to any other standard than that found in the Word, whether a human example or an idea,it is like measuring from your last measurement or from a copy, the next measurement is just that much askew. If you don't keep going back to the original, eventually you will be really off the mark.


Thanks for the reminder.