Sunday, November 27, 2016

You're Worth It


"The guacamole is going to cost extra,"  the worker at Chipotle says that every single time.  Every single time, I have the same reply, "It's worth it!"  An extra shot at Starbucks costs a little extra.  If I'm feeling particularly sluggish, I'd be quick to say that it's worth it.  Staying up late, not getting enough sleep, because I'm hanging out with my family?  Totally worth it! I love my sleep, but I love my family more.

A while back, a sweet friend blessed my family and me with a gift.  Overwhelmed with gratitude, I sent her a "thank you so much!" text the following day (after thanking her in person of course!)  In response to my text, she sent one that said, "You're kinda worth it."  For some reason, that simple text brought quick tears to my eyes.  I've thought about it several times since then.

I've got three beautiful daughters.  I always pray that they will know their worth.  I want them to live life confidently in the knowledge and security of how valuable they are.  I want them to never doubt it for a second.  Yet, sometimes I think I forget myself.

I'll pay extra for guacamole.  I'll save up for the better shoes, or jeans or whatever.  I will forfeit housework or other activities when family or dear friends are in town.  They are worth it.  These are small sacrifices, but I think you're getting my point.

As I read through God's Word, it tells me time and time again that God thinks I'm worth it, too.  YOU are worth it.  John 3:16 is a verse that is so often read, quoted and memorized.  I just hope it hasn't lost its impact on us.  We give more for those things that we consider "worth it."

God gave His everything, his only son, for us!  There is no deeper love, no greater sacrifice than that!  In John 15:13, it says, "Greater love has no one than this:  than to lay down one's life for one's friends."   Let that soak in for a minute and Hear Him say, "You're worth it!"

No comments: